Always so much to be thankful for! We are marching in to June and the calendar is filled with fun things on the days that work isn’t scheduled (and even on some days when work is scheduled!).
Here are a few things I am thankful for from the past few weeks —
- Friday nights! Spent a seemingly rare Friday night off at Jabbers (and evidently the last Friday night we’ll spend there, as it just closed!) getting in some Jabbering with Jabber Juice. Fun fun. And even after work last Friday night, it was fun to sit outside on the patio at Fat Willy’s! Fridays still rock!
Love this selfie with Rushford in the background!
- Rushford friends and family – had a lot of fun showing Chris around Rushford – the bluff, the new coffee shop – and hanging out with friends. Take Note! sang at the ExpoCulinaria and it was a lot of fun with good food tastes and good company! Followed by more good food and a good campfire at Brenda and Roger’s! It was chilly so that fire felt good! It was a Starry Starry Night!
Love word art – from Jessie Street Java
Love this artwork at Jessie Street Java! Way to go 1st graders (and their teachers!)
Love a good roaring campfire!
- Speaking of Starry Starry Nights – loved the time with Beth at the painting event by Wine & Canvas! It was a challenging painting but I think we did a respectable job – and it was so fun!
Love Starry Night with Rochester Wine & Canvas! And Beth!
- Memorial Day weekend I had to work overnights, but I still was able to indulge in a last minute invitation to hear Temple Grandin speak on Friday night, followed by coffee at Chester’s! And Monday Chris and I went for a good meal on a rainy afternoon before I went in for night four. I always manage to fit in the important stuff!
Love last minute invitations and loved hearing Temple Grandin again! She’s something!
- Trajan turned 15 in May and we celebrated him at Texas Roadhouse! I also love that I’ve been able to help out and drive him to his basketball practices in the Cities and to watch him play a few games. He’s on a competitive team and they are all so fun to watch!
Love this kid who isn’t afraid of the saddle on his 15th birthday!
- The weather has been great so I have been getting in some great walks! Some with friends, some with Chris, and some with his daughter and granddaughter. It’s been fun to play with a 2 year old again!
Love this guy and love hanging out with a 2 year old every now and then! It’s been a while…
- Books – I’m finally on a little reading streak! I finished Allegiant, moved on to The Fault in Our Stars (heartbreakingly beautiful… just lovely), and Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares (a fun little read with dares all over NYC!). I bought a used Kindle so it’s exciting to fill it up (it holds a TON!) and look forward to reading it at the end of the dock.
- Audiobooks – I’ve officially been an Audible member for a year! Yikes… I have purchased more than I’ve listened to (sound familiar?? I guess I’m growing my TBL (To Be Listened to) pile, as well!). I tend to buy the long books that I want to read but doubt I’ll have the time or stamina for. So far I’ve listened to 11.22.63, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, Fin & Lady, Ready Player One, The End of the Affair, The Goldfinch, and The Boy Who Was Raised As a Dog. I’m currently listening to Whistling Past the Graveyard for book club (if they don’t give up on me!). Love listening in the car, still, but much less commuting time so now it’s while puttering around. Love it!
- Movies – always thankful for movies! Movie nights at home on the couch, movies while trying to sleep, movies in the theatre with a tub of popcorn. Love them! This month in the theatre I’ve seen Neighbors (pretty funny, Seth Rogan stuff) and Belle (interesting story about Britain’s position in the slave trade business). From Netflix on DVD I’ve seen Here Comes the Boom (very funny and fun!) and Love Is All You Need (unexpected story about Danish people traveling to Italy for a wedding, with Pierce Brosnon! Pretty good!). Mindless instant viewing includes Drop Dead Diva (series) and The Sweetest Thing (Cameron Diaz craziness that was pretty fun).
- Of course, Jimmy Fallon always makes me laugh, which is a thing to be greatly thankful for. Fun stuff. Look for his clips if you can’t commit to an entire week of shows! 🙂
As usual, I have much to look forward to, as well. We are working fewer weekends than last summer, so I’m looking forward to that! I am penciling in fun plans with friends and family – so give a shout if you want to get together! Let’s make this the best summer ever!
If a June night could talk, it would probably boast it invented romance. ~Bern Williams
It is the 14th annual Happiness Happens day today, sponsored by the Secret Society of Happy People! Thought I’d do a quick “what’s making me happy” list to commemorate.
- The Timehop app makes me so happy. I know I’ve mentioned it before (haven’t I?) but it’s an app that shows my social media posts from the last 1-5 years, as well as one thing in history from this day. Today it showed me my blog posts from the past few August 8ths (about school libraries and domain names), my Facebook posts and pictures (regarding gardens), and my twitter feed. Reminded me that Xanadu came out 33 years ago today and that it’s been one year since I purchased my own domain name. All good stuff.
- My new glasses are making me happy – even though I feel like everyone freaks out a little when they see them! It’s pretty funny. They are a statement and so comfortable. It was such a good buying experience. I also am so happy to have my rose-colored Coach sunglasses turned into prescription sunglasses! Since I stopped wearing my contacts, I didn’t get to wear them as much, so now I’m happy to be able to wear them – and to stop squinting while driving!
Yay! I can wear my rose-colored glasses all the time now!
- It made me happy to dream a little about winning the lottery last night – I actually made a list of what I would do if I won some money. It clarified the travels I would love to do and how “stuff” isn’t as important as adventures. 🙂
- The music video of Mumford and Sons is quite a hoot – many smiles from that! http://youtu.be/rId6PKlDXeU Click to watch it yourself! Find the surprise!
- I was asked to participate in another Book Blogger Book Tour! I will be receiving a book and review it during their book tour! September 17 is the date I will be reviewing Freud’s Mistress by Karen Mack and Jennifer Kaufman. This book tour is sponsored by TLC – the website where I won a box of books from! Love books!
- Still on a high from the Superbowl of Books held the last week of July… so much fun. Maybe instead of twice yearly, we will have to do it quarterly!
- Anticipating great fun at Ferragosto this year! I truly think it will be the best ever – and I haven’t even heard from some of you! 🙂 My kitchen is a mess with bags of food packed and ready, my suitcase is out with the important stuff in it (swimsuits and towels!), and I have many Ferragosto-type beverages packed and ready to go!
- Having every weekend in August off is so exciting! Last weekend I had a great day long road-trip with this guy I’ve been hanging out with (woot! maybe more about that later???). Lots of fun stops, including the Marine Art Museum in Winona, Lakeview Drive-in, the Great River Road (?) in Wisconsin, a winery, River City Days in Red Wing, and dinner with Beth and Doug in Lake City. The day ended at Whistle Binkies on the Lake, sitting around the firepit with whiskey and bread pudding. Ah. It was a good day. And then to the lake on Sunday with Marissa and Jenny to see the Rochester Grimsrud’s. A perfect summer weekend off and a preview of my upcoming Ferragosto time!
- I heard through the grapevine (my mom’s Facebook page) that Marissa is going to be able to move in early, so that last weekend in August that I don’t work I will be able to help her move in and get settled! Very excited that it can happen, as I work overnights that first weekend in September/Labor Day weekend, so I will be tired and zombie-ish.
- Speaking of working overnights, that’s what I’m doing now. Well, I mean last night and tonight and tomorrow night. But I slept pretty good today – almost 7 hours – and I survived night one without much trouble. That makes me happy. 🙂
- Watching Jimmy Fallon daily on my computer makes me happy. Last night I started looking at plane fares for NYC in October! So much to plan, which is almost the best part of a vacation – and hopefully Jimmy Fallon will be part of that trip! Woohoo!!! Troy – we’ve gotta talk! 🙂
Well, that’s all for now. Must get out of bed, get some food, and get ready for night 2! But tell me — what’s been making you happy lately? How are you celebrating Happiness Happens HappyThon today?
Secret Society of Happy People
What I’ve Been Watching:
What I’ve Been Reading:
- Gone With the Wind – Finally started this and about 100 pages in. I’m sure that I have watched the movie in its entirety only twice in my life, but it’s amazing how it is so firmly in my mind as I read it. I can hear Scarlett’s mama’s voice in my head as I read the words. I can picture the barbeque (which I’m just coming up to) and Scarlett and her admirers. I look forward to reading more and then having a viewing party!
- My City, My New York: Famous New Yorkers Share Their Favorite Places – A fun little “guide book” that Sarah bought and I borrowed. I’ve been taking notes, Troy, so will have some little additions to my itinerary when I visit next!
What I’m Listening to:
- “Nice Work If You Can Get It” has a great Broadway Cast Recording! Love the Gershwin tunes!
- Noisetrade is introducing me to a lot of new musicians for the cost of my email address. – just downloaded a SXSW sampler. Love samplers!
- NPR Music also has a free download of 100 songs featuring artists who will be at SXSW. Love NPR! Good through the beginning of April!
- Still listening to my weekly stash of podcasts – Pop Culture Happy Hour, Satellite Sisters, Wait, Wait!, Filmspotting, The Moth, …
- Listened to a few hours worth of Gaelic Storm via their youtube channel – good stuff!
What I’m Looking Forward to:
- It’s March! Spring is right around the corner!
- Gaelic Storm this weekend – can’t wait! “What’s the rumpus!” Guess I’m going to find out!
- Cosmo Girls Thursday – stargazing!
- There are some movies that I look forward to seeing (Oz! Admission!), but many of them are on DVD already (Anna Karenina! Celeste and Jesse Forever! The Sessions!)! More to come on that front!
What about you? What’s up?
Lots of things make me laugh, and I tend to seek out lightness, goodness, and comedy. I made a list of all of the TV shows that I want to watch in a week (being cableless makes you purposeful!) and I think only one show is not a comedy – Parenthood – but it is a light and good show usually causing chuckles and tears each week. Everything else I watch is smile-worthy. The one show that I can’t watch online that I miss watching is BBCAmerica’s Graham Norton. He’s a hoot, that’s all I can say!
obsession favorite is Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. I think his comedy is brilliant, he is a good interviewer and he has creative sketches. If I watch his show while I’m exercising, a smile never leaves my face. If I watch his show while doing almost anything, a smile never leaves my face. He’s good stuff.
A funny website I found out about this week is drinkify – you type in the music you’re listening to and it gives you beverage recommendations. I put in two bands and it gave me the same drink (pinot noir), so I’ll have to try a different genre of music and see if that changes! Pretty funny little site, at any rate.
What makes you laugh?
Off to read!