What I’ve Been Watching:
- Smash (NBC Tuesday Nights) – It’s so fun to watch this show about putting on a Broadway show. There’s much that is predictable, but the music and locations are so fun.
- Late Night with Jimmy Fallon – Still loving this show and never miss it. Prince was on Friday night and that was a blast! He looked like he was having a great time, which doesn’t seem typical Prince to me. He was smiling so big… maybe being on Jimmy’s show makes everyone feel that way. I know I am always smiling throughout his show… good stuff!
- Eulogy (from Netflix) – a very fun movie with a lot of people in it! Ray Romano, Hank Azaria, Debra Winger, Zooey Deschanel, Rip Torn… and more. The patriarch of the family passes away and the oldest granddaughter is asked to read his eulogy. His four children have different views of him and their relationships today are strained and difficult. Pretty good stuff.
- Undertaking Betty (from Netflix) – Brenda Blethyn is so fun. This is a crazy story about a small Welsh town with two funeral homes in
competition with each other. One funeral director reaches out to his unrequited love and they decide the only way they can be together is if she fakes her death. Very crazy. And Naomi Watts? Christopher Walken? Craziest. 🙂
- The Commitments (from my library) – While watching Once with Deadra, I read that Glen Hansard was in The Commitments – one of my all time favorite movies! – so I had to watch it again. Still an amazing movie with amazing songs. Glen doesn’t have a big role in the show and doesn’t sing much at all, but it is a strong movie. What are the chances – two of my favorite movies of all time have a few things in common!
What I’ve Been Reading:
- Gone With the Wind – Finally started this and about 100 pages in. I’m sure that I have watched the movie in its entirety only twice in my life, but it’s amazing how it is so firmly in my mind as I read it. I can hear Scarlett’s mama’s voice in my head as I read the words. I can picture the barbeque (which I’m just coming up to) and Scarlett and her admirers. I look forward to reading more and then having a viewing party!
- My City, My New York: Famous New Yorkers Share Their Favorite Places – A fun little “guide book” that Sarah bought and I borrowed. I’ve been taking notes, Troy, so will have some little additions to my itinerary when I visit next!
What I’m Listening to:
- “Nice Work If You Can Get It” has a great Broadway Cast Recording! Love the Gershwin tunes!
- Noisetrade is introducing me to a lot of new musicians for the cost of my email address. – just downloaded a SXSW sampler. Love samplers!
- NPR Music also has a free download of 100 songs featuring artists who will be at SXSW. Love NPR! Good through the beginning of April!
- Still listening to my weekly stash of podcasts – Pop Culture Happy Hour, Satellite Sisters, Wait, Wait!, Filmspotting, The Moth, …
- Listened to a few hours worth of Gaelic Storm via their youtube channel – good stuff!
What I’m Looking Forward to:
- It’s March! Spring is right around the corner!
- Gaelic Storm this weekend – can’t wait! “What’s the rumpus!” Guess I’m going to find out!
- Cosmo Girls Thursday – stargazing!
- There are some movies that I look forward to seeing (Oz! Admission!), but many of them are on DVD already (Anna Karenina! Celeste and Jesse Forever! The Sessions!)! More to come on that front!
What about you? What’s up?
- A wealth of Irish traditional music shows for the green season of St. Patrick (irishcentral.com)
- ONCE to Launch National Tour October 2013 in Providence (broadwayworld.com)
- Best Funeral Ever Compared to Undertaking Betty (thefamilyplot.wordpress.com)
- Prince Plays Two New Songs On ‘Late Night With Jimmy Fallon’ (wcbsfm.cbslocal.com)
- Watch Prince Play Fallon (stereogum.com)