I love lists, as I believe I’ve said before. The above is a list that I made in January of this year of things that I want to accomplish in 2012. Not big lofty goals, not life-changing goals, really, but a list of things that I want to work on being able to do.
- Garrison Keillor at the Fitz: I would love to see Garrison Keillor in his home territory of the Fitzgerald Theatre before he retires. If I can’t do that, I want to get to a stage show of The Wits at the Fitz sometime soon. I have been a John Moe fan for years – since his podcast Weekend America (which has been off the air since 2009) – and his stage/radio show sounds delightfully fun.
- Four Daughters Vineyard & Winery: A new winery opened up in our area and it looks beautiful. Four Daughters Vineyard and Winery has a beautiful building with what appears to be delicious food and wonderful local wine. I need to get there!
- NYC: “Once” Musical: This is an item that can be crossed off the list this week! I fly out early tomorrow and have tickets for this show on Tuesday! If you’ve talked to me at all lately, you know that I’m over-the-moon excited about the entire trip, so I won’t go on and on… but it’s happening, and all because I wrote it on a list in January! 🙂
- Maybe: You can see off to the side that I also wrote “Maybe a Greenwich Village walking tour with Adriana.” I love all things Adriana Trigiani and so I checked into this. No weekday tour groups but they would do a private walking tour – with or without food – for $95-$130. Well, I can walk around and see a lot and eat a lot of food for that money. So, not this time. But I subscribed to the newsletter about her tours in NYC and in Italy… so it’ll continue to be something I look out for!
- Passport: I still haven’t gotten a passport. Must do that next! No trips out of the country planned, but they are not possible until I have the passport! 🙂 Must. Be. Ready.
- Write, at least weekly: I haven’t been blogging weekly but feel pretty good about the amount that I am doing right now. Starting the new job required mucho brain power and I am finally feeling like I can use a little for other things, like reading a novel. 🙂 So I’ll still aspire to weekly writing.
- Write letters: I don’t do too badly at this. I can do better, for sure. But it is something I enjoy doing – writing and getting letters in return. So fun.
- Eat healthy and real food: The continual quest. I thought that getting sleep would be the hardest thing about the crazy shift schedule we work in the Emergency Department, but it turns out that eating meals has been harder. Working 12 hour shifts is easy when you’re there – it flies by – but so does the 12 hours you’re off! I don’t cook meals for myself, aside from a cold meat sandwich, and have been eating out a LOT! I try to make good choices while out. A few weeks ago I realized that every time I went out I ate a delicious burger and my rationale was that I never make burgers for myself at home; but the truth is, i never make anything for myself at home, so I started making different choices! That night I ordered Indian carryout and was blissfully happy about that. I’ll have to keep working on this…
- Trivia night: I had so much fun at Trivia Night in November with Kristine that I must find other venues for this. Marissa found a bar in LaCrosse that has trivia on Monday nights and she has gone with a group and kicked butt – 1st place last week! – but I think it would dampen her image if her mom came along. 🙂 So I’ll keep looking!
- Seek out author/book events: I scoured the web looking for author events while I’m in NYC next week, as I’ll have a few days to myself to wander, but was unsuccessful in finding anything that jumped out at me (by anyone I knew). I went to B&N today and saw that tomorrow Jesse Ventura is going to be here for a reading and book signing. I wondered if I would go, if I wasn’t winging it to NYC tomorrow. 🙂 I’ll keep my eyes open for fun opportunities.
What about you? What’s on your list of things to do in 2012? Or this summer? Holler if you want to help me check off anything else on my list!
- New York Walking Tours Becomes a Regular Staple for NYC Tourists in 2012 (prweb.com)
- Swell Season-Scored ‘Once’ Nabs 8 Awards at 2012 Tonys (spin.com)
- Q&A: Glen Hansard on the Tonys’ ‘Once’ Love, His Solo LP and Learning From Springsteen (rollingstone.com)
- Glen Hansard releasing 1st solo album, schedules shows, playing Beacon Theaer, played BV-SXSW (pics, videos, dates) (brooklynvegan.com)
- Glen Hansard/The Frames/The Swell Season (thebandaides.wordpress.com)
- Glen Hansard: The Best Songs Come ‘As A Gift’ (wnyc.org)