I was so excited to learn that another Linklater movie was going to come out this summer… and it did not disappoint!
- In 1995, “Before Sunrise” came out – a small independent movie about a couple who meet on a train and have one night in Vienna.
- In 2004, “Before Sunset” came out – a small independent movie catching up with this same couple 9 years later.
- And now, in 2013 “Before Midnight” is released. The same couple, now in their very early 40s.
I won’t give any spoilers here (links below to many reviews – read at your own risk!), but will simply say that if you love movies with smart dialogue, romantic chemistry, beautiful European settings, and real-world conversations and relationship troubles, you should definitely see all of these movies.
I am thankful that I was able to borrow the first two movies and binge on them a bit before seeing the 3rd movie. It was a great way to reacquaint myself with Jesse and Celine. I plan to buy all three when they’re all out on DVD so that I can binge again!
I was listening to a podcast last night (Filmspotting) and they were wondering (as I was) if since the characters were approximately my age during all three of these movies if I have more of an affinity to love the movies. I would love to have this discussion – if anyone else has seen them! 🙂
Before Summer Solstice:
- I finished “Circle of Friends” by Maeve Binchy this morning. It’s a re-read and I wondered if it would hold up as I’m not in my 20s anymore (like I was when I first read it) but it did. She writes such great stories about great places with great characters. Love it!
- I will watch “Anna Karenina” with Cindy tomorrow – and can’t wait for the re-watch! I’m sure there will be vodka and something sorta Russian to eat. Love me a theme!
- I had an impromptu game night last Saturday night! Beth came for a planned girl’s night, and we stayed in and invited others over. We played Loaded Questions and “What if…” A great time!
- I watched Trajan graduate from 8th grade – such a fun kid.
- I celebrated Jenny’s birthday with her at Goonie’s and the Loop! The comedians were fun – the raunchy one leading up to the cerebral one made for some big brain shifts!
- I sang with Take Note! at our yearly spring concert, on Over the Back Fence, and during Art in the Park in Lanesboro! Good stuff. I think I finally have the songs committed to memory and now we won’t sing them again!
- I listened to music outside during Harmony at Mayo on Monday 6/10. Great band, great food and great company!
- I chatted about “Little Wolves” with Sarah, Paul and Heidi. What a delicious meal was prepared and enjoyed al fresco! A beautiful summer evening…
Before the end of Quarter 3 (44 Things)
Here’s my list of 11 things for this quarter… how am I doing? Have til the end of the month…
11 Things: 3rd Quarter:
- Book Club – LOVE talking about books, whenever and wherever! April 2 – with rum & Cokes, pizza burgers, and Mississippi Mud Cake!! May 27 – with hot turkey sandwiches we discussed The Accidental Tourist! Good stuff! Next one July 9!
- Cosmo Girls – April brought green smoothies, chair massages, and henna! May brought A Cosmo Girl Party to celebrate another year of fun! Next – organize for next year!
- A Spring Break facial – and pedicure!
- Baseball games and softball games – hopefully in sunshine!
- THE GREAT GATSBY movie! Saw it once in the theatre – it was great!
- Marissa’s graduation in May with a party to celebrate her Bachelor’s in Biology! Taran’s graduation in June! Both parties were very fun! Very proud of their accomplishments!
- Take Note! spring concert – most likely in June! Done! A great concert followed by a get-together at Mom and Dad’s with s’mores around the campfire! Perfect!
- New walking shoes – so hopefully many walks! Knee feels better – still no power walks! Just short ones and stretching!
- Catch up on the TBR pile – as many as possible! #1 Silver Linings Playbook! #2 Elizabeth the First Wife #3 Little Wolves #4 Circle of Friends – the list is interminable! Oh well!
- June will bring Thursdays on First and Rochesterfest – outdoor food, music and fun! And hopefully sunshine! (Can you tell we’ve been without for too long?) Spun through Thursdays last week and plan to go this week – on June 20!
- Strike up a conversation with a stranger (NOT a patient!) weekly (?) and WRITE about it! Woot! Haven’t done this really! What was I thinking? Looking for a challenge, I guess. I’m just enjoying getting to know my coworkers and planning things for my “circle of friends.” 🙂
I suppose it’s time to think about my 4th Quarter list… hard to believe that I’m winding down my 44th year and really close to 45! What will the theme of 45 be?
What do you have planned – Before Midnight? Before the Summer Solstice? Before the end of the month?
- Summer solstice is all about getting frisky (q13fox.com)
- Summer Solstice on Friday, June 21 (dharmajyotish.wordpress.com)
- Celebrate the Summer Solstice! (thecheeps.wordpress.com)
- Remembering ‘The Irish Times’ circle of friends (irishtimes.com)
- ‘Before Midnight’ has to be the best movie of the year so far. (megoblog.typepad.com)
- Film: Movie Review: Before Midnight (avclub.com)
- Before Midnight Was Everything I Hoped It Would Be…And More (allinsparetime.com)
- Before Midnight: Very True Romance (liturgicalcredo.wordpress.com)
- “Before Midnight” and Emotional Catharsis (snippetstudios.wordpress.com)
- Richard Linklater on Before Midnight (guardian.co.uk)