First, the date. 11-12-13 – How fun is that? I guess it’s the big wedding date of the year – what will next year’s big date be? 12-13-14 I guess.
Other things making me happy –
On the reading front…
- I’m feeling a little bit like I got my reading groove back! Yay!
- Since “Freud’s Mistress,” I’ve read “Falling Together” by Marisa de los Santos,
- “Paris was the Place” by Susan Conley (see review here) and
- “My One Square Inch of Alaska” by Sharon Short (for FC book group next week).
- I’m currently reading (and flying through!) “Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy” by Helen Fielding,
- and listening on audio (slowly) “Finn & Lady” by Cathleen Schine.
- I think the moral to this story for me is that I need to read books of my choosing rather than for book tours and blogging for a while. I have enjoyed the books I’ve read for book tours, but find that I read them even slower than normal and the blogging aspect adds even more time.
- Hopefully I can crank out (and enjoy!) a few more before the end of 2013!
- Next on my reading list are “Pope Joan” for the ED book club,
- and “Mo’Meta Blues: The World According to Questlove” by Questlove and Ben Greenman.
- Then maybe I’ll FINALLY read “Winter Garden” by Kristin Hannah, and some other seasonal reads.
On the film front:
- On DVD or streaming on Netflix: “The Oranges,” – a slightly disturbing story about a college aged girl who starts dating her dad’s best friend and neighbor; “Springbreakers,” – a very disturbing story about spring break gone awry, jumpy and weird; “Bachelorrette” – a story about a bride who asks high school friends to be in her wedding, even though they were mean to her in high school, interestinglly famous cast; “Mike Birbiglia‘s: My Girlfriend’s Boyfriend” – stand up routine by this guy… love his stuff;
- and in the theatre on a mid-week date night, “Enough Said.” Elaine Bennis (Julie Louis-Dreyfuss) and Tony Soprano (James Gandolfino) meet and begin dating. It’s James Gandolfino’s last film and it was a very sweet story. Lots of good discussions – in the movie and after.
On the social front:
- Lots of great dates with Chris – whether it’s cooking a meal, eating out, going to football games, exploring the SPAM Museum, watching DVDs or going to movies, we have a good time.
- Met some girls at 4 Daughters’ Winery for a delicious afternoon lunch and conversation! Was a great time and hope to do it again soon!
- Had 1:1 time with great friends, as well – Beth came to Rochester and we hit consignment shops and had a great lunch and some coffee, had a birthday lunch with Ellen last week, and Vicki and I shared a bottle of wine in Mom and Dad’s basement, discussing life!
- The SPAM Museum with Chris and Marissa was a ton o’ fun… I don’t know what it is about that place! Maybe the SPAMples we ate throughout our time there, the gift store with everything SPAM you can imagine, or the knowledge that was absorbed, as evidenced by the SPAM game show. Fun fun times.
- I went to the ED Book Club for the first time last night to discuss a book I recommended to them and read in 1998! I didn’t re-read it but read the SparksNotes for Angela’s Ashes, and there was great discussion with people I don’t know very well. Was a fun night and I’ll go again!
- Feel like I’ve been working a lot, but I guess no more than normal. Just recovering from overnights, so a little brain dead yet today.
And so I’ll close… I feel a little bad that I’m not participating in the month of Gratitude leading up to Thanksgiving… the days fly by and there is always something to be thankful for. I’m working this Thanksgiving, so I am trying to figure out what I can do to celebrate in some way. I’m thankful for TimeHop App which tells me what I posted on Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare for the last 5 years, so that I can remember all the good things that have gone on before… Life is good!
What is making YOU happy??
- Happy 11/12/13! (hothits957.cbslocal.com)
- Review – Bridget Jones: Mad About The Boy (allthatmagic.wordpress.com)
- 10 odd facts about 11/12/13 (mnn.com)
- Happy 11/12/13! (mix965houston.cbslocal.com)
- What’s the Fuss About 11/12/13? (royaranda.wordpress.com)
- ‘Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy’ by Helen Fielding **** (theliterarysisters.wordpress.com)
- Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding (hafullmer78.wordpress.com)