Wow. So this isn’t going to be easy, is it? A Sense of Self… What does that mean? I think that I have done a lot of self-reflection, especially lately, but at many different points in my life. Lately I’ve been thinking about what the next part of my life will bring – new challenges and adventures, new people and opportunities. Although I am a person who likes to talk things out with others, I also am a person who trusts instincts and makes decisions on “what feels right.” Is that because I have a good sense of who I am and what I can do? Is that what good instincts are from?
When I googled “sense of self,” a webpage came up about how reading expands our sense of self. I love reading so I read on… It goes on to say that when we are reading a book, we identify with the characters of the book and psychologically become part of their community. We become vampires or students at Hogwarts or women of Biblical times. And we can get as much satisfaction from these relationships as real-life relationships. It comes from a desire to belong to a group. Interesting to think about, eh? I’ve always encouraged people to “feed their heads” with good things, because it would be awful to identify yourself with a group of racists or murderers. Hmmmm… Stuff to think about.
So where does this go? I guess I’ll keep thinking about who I am and what I want and what I believe and will keep writing about it from time to time (on Tuesdays for a while).
And in the meantime, I found this on facebook from a few years ago: 25 Things about me. I should update it – maybe that will be my assignment for this week – but it’s a glimpse into February 2009. 🙂
Off to read!
25 Things about Danette Grimsrud
1. I love lists. Some that I’m currently working on: books I want to read, movies I want to see, books I have read, movies I have seen. And see #2.
2. I turned 40 in 2008 and I had a list of 40 THINGS TO DO BEFORE TURNING 40. I didn’t complete the list (durn flood) but had a good time trying! Now I’m working on a list of 40 THINGS TO DO IN MY 40s. That gives me some time.
3. I remember weird things and forget lots of things.
4. I have a Christmas letter written that I haven’t sent out yet. Maybe this weekend? Yikes.
5. If given a choice, I will always choose eat out at a Chinese or Asian restaurant.
6. My daughter wouldn’t friend me at first and had to create a “family” facebook page so that she could join in all our fun. :-p
7. I love my job but it does have its heavy moments. Especially lately. I just want to bring kids home with me.
8. During my commute I mostly listen to podcasts. I’m very out of touch with the “pop” music scene right now. Podcasts I listen to regularly: Weekend America (last episode was 1/31 (sad sad), NPR Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me, This American Life, The Satellite Sisters/The Chaos Chronicles. Others I hit now and again: anything Ricky Gervais, Oprah, iTunes book chat with authors, The Flight of the Conchords videocasts.
9. I can’t stand sports on television, with the exception of soccer. I think that the commentators for soccer don’t talk much so it’s just crowd noise. I haven’t watched a lot but during the World Cup enjoyed it a lot. Love to watch almost anything live. Although I think I’d never watch boxing or fighting.
10. I was a “Hot Box Dancer” in Guys and Dolls when I was 12.
11. I love to sing and sang a solo in a concert almost two years ago. It was the song, “Crossword Puzzle.”
12. I love crossword puzzles. But I bought a book of them recently that was just stupid. I was doing the NY Times puzzles for almost a year. Could complete a MONDAY puzzle without looking for answers. Even did a TUESDAY once. Never ever a SUNDAY.
13. I love to travel. I would love to plan trips for people.
14. I get great pleasure from sitting in a movie theatre and watching anything fun on the big screen. When I’m there I always wonder why I don’t do it more often. Last weekend was a two-movie weekend – pure bliss.
15. I have been to New York City three times. In 1991 or so with Lisa, in 1999 with Deadra and Marissa and in 2008 with Deadra. I could go back yearly, finances permitting, or even more often, just for a few days. It’s so fun to see the museums, the shows, the people. I don’t think I’d ever get tired of it.
16. I have 368 movies in my Netflix queue. Yikes.
17. I try to not eat at franchise restaurants, especially when I’m in a new place. It’s fun to hit the kitschy little places. My favorite was the little polka-dotted diner somewhere in western Minnesota on the way to Pierre. What a hoot.
18. David Letterman over Jay Leno any day.
19. The song with the highest play count on my iTunes is “Moon River” by Henry Mancini. Out of 5097 items.
20. I collect coffee cups from Broadway Shows. And music from Broadway shows. And programs from Broadway shows I’ve seen. And ticket stubs from movies. Nothing too big or that takes up too much space. Probably could say I collect books and movies and music too, but no snowmen or figurines or anything.
21. My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. I love anything that celebrates gratitude.
22. I use firefox instead of internet explorer. (Now I’m reaching for things to say!)
23. I have a blog. About my book and movie habits. It’s a form of list-making.
24. I’ve gotten a lot better about getting rid of things. Seeing all your stuff underwater or soaked with water makes it pretty easy to see what is important to keep and what needs to be tossed.
25. This list has taken me entirely too long to write! Am gonna publish it already! No need to make your own list, as you either already have or aren’t going to! 🙂
One thought on “A Sense of Self”
I haven’t been to New York in years but would love to go back. I love the shows and all the food!