February is in full swing… lots of fun things to look forward to! But here’s a quick look back on January goodness….
In January I visited some new places:
- Bunny’s Bar & Grill in St. Louis Park – right around the corner from Marissa and Adam’s home is the local hangout. Good food! Went there with Chris and Kevin during a quick trip to Microcenter – had to get some Nana time!
- LTS Brewing Company – Cosmo Girls goodness, as usual, at a local brewery. LTS = Life’s Too Short – and ain’t that the truth! We had some great conversation with one of the proprietors and learned a lot about beer making and about his life philosophy. Cool place. Must go back.
- Five West – owned by the Loop, a beautiful location out in western Rochester. A great night there with Chris, spending the Powerball money we didn’t win. 🙂
- HyVee – we wandered around the new HyVee out by Five West. It is monstrous! Fun to see. Would love to take a class there!
- Radisson Hotel LaCrosse and the Three Rivers Restaurant – Chris and I were able to go to my dad’s retirement party with his work peeps. Lots of wonderful and fun stories told about dad – nothing surprising! He’s a wonderful and fun man!
- The Breakfast Club and Pub – a cute theme joint in LaCrosse where we went for breakfast the next morning. They take the theme seriously, which is always good to see! All John Hughes all the time!
- Treasure Island and Xtreme Bowling – Chris’s LOL work party. We ate, we drank, we bowled and we gambled. And the only thing I lost was my lipstick!
- Eat Street Social – Minneapolis – girl’s weekend with Marissa (and August!) and Trisha. Met Deadra and Maya here Sunday for brunch and it was delish! A fried egg BLT. Oh my. Yum! Saturday Marissa, Trisha and I ate at Surly’s Brew Pub Hall – delicious food there, too! Busy places…
Other than all that goodness, January has been filled with basketball, Emma’s first birthday party, date-night and double-date night, Scrabble with Kevin, book club in Preston, and only one movie in the theatre! We saw “The Big Short,” which was so smart and complicated. Uff. That stuff happened … and is happening again???? Yikes. We attempted to watch “Mad Max: Fury Road” on TV for the sake of Oscar’s, but it is really just too something-something. NOT my style of movie. Hard to watch, even in my own living room.
So of the best picture nominees, I have only seen “The Big Short,” “The Martian,” and “Brooklyn.” LOVED Brooklyn. Sweet movie. Not a banner year for my movie viewing! Too much other goodness… I did get two books read, which is a great thing for me! Yay! Maybe I’ll get back into the swing of things!
Much to look forward to – hope the same is true for you!
Oscar nominations 2016 –
Nominees: BEST PICTURE
“The Big Short”
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“Bridge of Spies”
Nominees: BEST ACTOR
Bryan Cranston (“Trumbo”)
Matt Damon (“The Martian”)
Leonardo DiCaprio (“The Revenant”)
Michael Fassbender (“Steve Jobs”)
Eddie Redmayne (“The Danish Girl”)Nominees: BEST ACTRESSCate Blanchett (“Carol”)Brie Larson (“Room”)Jennifer Lawrence (“Joy”)Charlotte Rampling (“45 Years”)
Saoirse Ronan (“Brooklyn”)Nominees: BEST SUPPORTING ACTORChristian Bale (“The Big Short”)Tom Hardy (“The Revenant”)Mark Ruffalo (“Spotlight”)Mark Rylance (“Bridge of Spies”)
Sylvester Stallone (“Creed”)
Nominees: BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Jennifer Jason Leigh (“The Hateful Eight”)
Rooney Mara (“Carol”)
Rachel McAdams (“Spotlight”)
Alicia Vikander (“The Danish Girl”)
Kate Winslet (“Steve Jobs”)
Nominees: BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAYMatt Charman, Joel & Ethan Coen (“Bridge of Spies”)Pete Docter, Meg LeFauve, Josh Cooley (“Inside Out”)Tom McCarthy and Josh Singer (“Spotlight”)Alex Garland (“Ex Machina”)
Jonathan Herman and Andrea Berloff (“Straight Outta Compton”)
Nominees: BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Emma Donoghue (“Room”)
Drew Goddard (“The Martian”)
Nick Hornby (“Brooklyn”)
Adam McKay and Charles Randolph (“The Big Short”)
Phyllis Nagy (“Carol”)Nominees: BEST ORIGINAL SONG“Earned It” from “Fifty Shades of Grey”“Manta Ray” from “Racing Extinction
“Simple Song #3” from “Youth”
“Til It Happens To You” from “The Hunting Ground”
“Writings on the Wall” from “Spectre”