And another few weeks have flown by!
Here we are at another first – June 1st! Love those firsts.
It’s a weekend off with no plans!
Here’s a recap of what’s been going on and what’s been making me happy:
Graduation day at UW-LaCrosse was a great day! Marissa wasn’t sure she wanted to walk through, but decided it would be good closure to her 2 years in LaCrosse. Afterwards we took pictures down by the Mississippi and then went to one of her favorite after-class establishments – Howie’s Bar. 🙂
The next weekend (Memorial Day) we had a small family gathering to celebrate her accomplishments, and that was a fun day, as well!
So this summer will be filled with apartment and job searching for her – I’m sure I’ll be invited along to assist! :
Can’t wait to watch her further adventures in education!
- Had Preston book club for “The Accidental Tourist.” Consensus was that we liked the book quite a bit, mainly it caused a lot of thinking! Thinking is good! Some of us related to the characters in the book more than others (I won’t name names). It was a good discussion (mostly about the book), delicious dinner (not promptly at 5:30 but we had to make sure the Tots got browned!), and too many dessert choices! A great time.
- Next to read for Preston book club is “The Night Circus.” I’m looking forward to reading it! Oh, my TBR pile never goes down, just keeps getting bigger!
- I just finished “Little Wolves” by Thomas Maltman, a Minnesota author. It definitely set a mood, that book. West-central Minnesota, in the late 1980s, a teacher who engages her students by teaching Beowolf and other early epic stories, and a mystery or two. I can’t wait to discuss it with Paul and Heidi in a few weeks!
- I couldn’t decide which book I would pick up next, but decided to read Rob Lowe‘s book, “Stories I Only Tell My Friends.” It’s been highly recommended so I can’t wait to dive in!
- I also am excited about reading “The Promise of Provence” by Patricia Sands! I think that will be next, after Rob Lowe’s book. 🙂
Last week I had the pleasure of a two-movie-day. Love when that happens!
- First I saw “Mud” with Jenny. I kept hearing that I needed to see this movie, and I am so glad that I did! It was a nice story with incredible teen actors. It felt a little like “Stand By Me” – a coming of age story, with a bit of intrigue and a lot of relationship building. Good stuff. And Matthew McConnaughy!
- Then I saw the late showing of “Hangover III” with a bunch of random people. There were many laughs, groans, and one time I gasped and jumped! I saw the first in the theatre and the second at home, so this was better than the second but really more of the same. But a good time. And two-movie-days are always great!
- On DVD I saw “Rust and Bone,” the French film which got some buzz at the Golden Globes. Kickboxing, killer whale trainer accidents, and poor parenting. It was pretty good. I was glad for the ending. Not because it was over, but because it was a fitting ending.
- I finally watched the finale to “Smash.” There were tears, there were Broadway numbers, there was closure. Ah, it was good.
- I have been powering through past seasons of “Arrested Development.” I know I’m late to the game, but it is fun to binge on it! I’m well into season 2 now and enjoy all the episodes! It is a smart show with truly abhorrent people in it! How fun!
- I have to plug Noisetrade again. I love discovering new music this way and recently downloaded their 65 song summer sampler. How fun is that! I have my iPad playing on random and just really enjoy all the stuff that is on it! Of course there are over 3000 songs on there, so I will never hear them all but it’s nice to just be able to enjoy good music of all kinds!
And now I’m enjoying this weekend off. No big plans, but just taking care of my house and hopefully seeing some friends! What are you doing this early summer?