I ended up going to a midnight showing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt. 2, with no regrets. Marissa and I watched Pt. 1 on PPV at home (without popcorn) and then went to the theatre! We arrived around 10:45 and the there were a lot of people there in costumes and I don’t know how many theatres were actually sold out. The one we were in was already 2/3 full by the time we got there. It was exciting to be there with all of the other “giddy” people, to hear the applause throughout the movie – even before the movie started – and to watch the final book come to life. There were differences, of course, but there was also word-for-word sameness in a lot of dialogue. Good stuff.
The books are more amazing, of course, but the movies add to the experience. One of my favorite podcasts, Filmspotting, reviewed the movie after reading ZERO of the books (or even seeing all of the movies), so they had tons of questions, although they gave the movie pretty good reviews. Marissa hadn’t read any books beyond the first and enjoyed the movies on their own.
So now what? Other book-related movies are coming out soon.
- “Snow Flower and the Secret Fan” is in theatres now (7/15) but I don’t see it showing up in Rochester for a while… I will keep my eyes peeled for that one. I had that one on audio but lost it somewhere (probably on my dead iPod) so I downloaded a digital version from the library (MobiPocket Reader anyone??? Yikes… another program downloaded to read books) but also requested a paperback – and today I got an email that it was ready and waiting! Yay! I’ll dig in tonight!
- “The Help” comes out on August 10 – and it looks so good! What a fun book to read and discuss. It will be a book club event to see that together!
- “One Day” comes out August 19. (July 15 was the ONE DAY featured in the book! Should have acknowledged it!) I look forward to seeing that book on the screen. I enjoyed reading it – mostly – although the ending didn’t sit right with me. 😦
- “Jane Eyre” hasn’t made it to Rochester yet – meaning it won’t? It was released in April, so that’s probably a good bet. I have it in my Netflix queue but there’s no release date there yet. Sigh. I read that book in anticipation of the movie. I’m glad I caught up with a classic and I know there are multiple versions of the movie that I can pick fromI
- “Sarah’s Key” was made into a movie! The book about the Vel’d’Hiv Roundup in 1942 in France was another sad Holocaust story, telling about another unknown-to-me piece of history. Kristin Scott Thomas stars and it might be French, as the title is listed as “Sarah’s Key (Elle s’appelait Sarah)”. Releases 7/22!
- I heard that “Austenland” is being made into a movie starring Keri Russel. I liked that book, so that’s pretty fun. Gotta love all things Austen!
- Regina Weinreich: ‘Sarah’s Key’: Thank Heaven for Little Girls (huffingtonpost.com)
- ‘Snow Flower And The Secret Fan’ Premieres In Los Angeles (huffingtonpost.com)
- It All Ends 7.15.11 (walkietalkiebookclub.wordpress.com)