Happy April! Happy April Fool’s Day!
I’ve always loved the 1st of a new month and I feel great affinity with April 1st, as it’s my half birthday!
(Really, who celebrates such a thing? I guess I do! )
April is kind of the yin to my yang or something.
April is also National Poetry Month and Autism Awareness Month, among other wacky holidays (National Welding Month? International Guitar Month?). I’m always looking for a reason to celebrate, so websites like Holiday Insights are great places to find inspiration. (e.g. 3rd Thursday in April (4/18) = National High Five Day, April 23 = Take a Chance Day, April 30 = Hairstyle Appreciation Day.)
It’s been a great start to April, so I’ll start the month with a list of what’s been making me happy lately!
- This is a fun new poster I have added to my walls. I haven’t seen all the films (haven’t even heard of some of them! SLC Punks? Who knew?) but maybe that will be a goal sometime! If not, it’s fun to look at and think about and a conversation piece.
- Had a few Walkie Talkies over for dinner and a movie! The movie was the new Anna Karenina and before the movie we had vodka, beef stroganoff, yummy bread and brie, and pickled beets. After the meal we had vodka and white Russian cupcakes. The movie was engrossing and fast-moving and fun to watch! Very cleverly done! I can’t wait to watch it again!
- I saw this as I was browsing in B&N and thought it was pretty hilarious! Love the Keep Calm stuff. Love this even more.
- Any day off is a good day off. A day off spent with friends and family is the best day off ever! Lots of times other people have to work on my days off (and vice versa) so I’m happy that it’s spring break this week!
- Today I also went to Macy’s because I won a door prize that I signed up for last week! So I have two full-sized bottles of some perfumes I’ve never heard of before! Good times!
- And also today my mom decided we would celebrate opening day of baseball season with hotdogs, potato salad and ice cream while watching the Twins on TV! Good stuff. Mom loves a theme, too!
- I worked on Easter weekend but enjoyed the time spent with my fellow “Easter chicks,” as we dubbed ourselves. We had some cookies, which looked like these above, and lots of jelly beans.
- I am over HALF WAY DONE with Gone with the Wind! Yay me! I am more than 500 pages into this book of about 960 pages. Ah. Still enjoying it and can’t wait to have another dinner and a movie night!
- I’m looking forward to book club tomorrow night – gonna make Mississippi Mud cake to celebrate! Also bringing little Cokes in glass bottles and someone else is bringing the rum (relevant to the book!). Always a good time.
- I’m looking forward to a WEEKEND OFF! Friday, Saturday AND Sunday! Woot! No big plans and a 4 hour meeting for work on Saturday, but excited, nonethless!
- I’m looking forward to making my list of 44 Things:Q3! I haven’t started yet, but will work on it this week.
In honor of National Poetry Month, here is my favorite poem about April. I’ve shared it on my blog in another April post (2011, I believe). I memorized it in high school and it still comes to mind when I think of springtime and April. I would LOVE to know your favorite poems! Send them my way!
APRIL by Marcia Masters
It’s lemonade, it’s lemonade, it’s daisy.
It’s a roller-skating, scissor-grinding day;
It’s gingham-waisted, chocolate flavored, lazy,
With the children flower-scattered at their play.
It’s the sun like watermelon,
And the sidewalks overlaid
With a glaze of yellow yellow
Like a jar of marmalade.
It’s the mower gently mowing,
And the stars like startled glass,
While the mower keeps on going
Through a waterfall of grass.
Then the rich magenta evening
Like a sauce upon the walk,
And the porches softly swinging
With a hammockful of talk.
It’s the hobo at the corner
With his lilac-sniffing gait,
And the shy departing thunder
Of the fast departing skate.
It’s lemonade, it’s lemonade, it’s April!
A water sprinkler, puddle winking time,
When a boy who peddles slowly, with a smile remote and holy,
Sells you April chocolate flavored for a dime.
- National Poetry Month (poemattic.wordpress.com)
- April Fools Day! (jasoninwv.wordpress.com)
- No Fooling It’s National Poetry Month (cricketmuse.wordpress.com)
- April: National Poetry Month (theblacktortoise.com)
- National Poetry Month (wurdiz.blogspot.com)