In 2012 –
Life changed pretty drastically for me, with my (wonderful) new job! Aside from having a lot to learn about social work in the hospital setting (specifically Emergency Department), the unpredictable and crazy hours have caused the need for creativity and flexibility in getting in the fun stuff! But, never fear. I still manage to find time for fun!
In 2012 –
There were milestones –
- I had a job interview on Jan 4, got a job offer on January 12 and started a new job on January 30 (.8 limited tenure, turned full-time permanent in May)
- Mom turned 65 in February and celebrated as she loves best – with all her children and grandchildren
- My 25th Class Reunion was held during Rushford Days at the Hoiland Mill
- Five years have passed since the Rushford Flood
- Marissa started her final year of college – majoring in Biology! What’s next? I can’t wait to see!
- Twenty-Five years of marriage were celebrated with Ellen and Dallas
- I got a new car on November 30, putting my old car to rest after 207,000+ miles
There were things to do with kids –
- The St. Paul Winter Carnival with Deadra and Maya, the parade and the ice sculptures
- Gracie and Trajan playing basketball
- Ethan and Macy tumbling with their gymnastics
- Trajan and Gunnar playing football
- Gracie, Trajan and Gunnar playing softball and baseball
- Gunnar’s Confirmation of Baptism
- The Minnesota State Fair with Deadra, Marissa, Maya and Gracie – lots of good food (and drink) on a stick and people-watching
- Concerts and plays and programs… fun to see as many as I can!
There were concerts –
- Take Note! performances on Over the Back Fence and Rushford
- The Dweebs at Rushford Days with Gracie and Marissa
- Civic Theatre Patio nights on Fridays with Sarah
- Thursdays on First outdoor concerts
- Jeremy Messersmith “Supper Club Tour” with Marissa
- Glen Hansard at First Ave with Marissa and Emily and Andrew
- Bruce Springsteen at Excel Center with Koni, Kristine, and Teri
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra Lost Christmas Eve concert with Marissa, Dana and Koni, Trajan and Gracie (a Merry Christmas to me!)
There were plays –
- “Gruesome Playground Injuries” at Civic Theatre with Sarah
- “Chicago” at Rochester Civic Theatre with the Cosmo Girls
- “Priscilla Queen of the Desert” in NYC
- “Once” in NYC – TWICE! June and October
- “Newsies” in NYC
- “Peter and the Starcatcher” in NYC
- “Nice Work if you Can Get It” in NYC
- “Philadelphia Story” at Lanesboro Commonweal with Deadra and Beth
- “Don’t Hug Me” a Minnesota Musical at Lanesboro Community Theatre
- “You Can’t Take It With You” at Rushford Days by RASA
- “Avenue Q” in NYC
- “Forbidden Broadway” in NYC
- “Bring It On” in NYC
- “Our Town” at St. Mary’s University
- I LOVE THAT THIS LIST IS SO LONG!
There were trips and excursions –
- The Ice Bar is always fun in February
- Bagpipes at Binkies , St. Patrick’s Day Silliness
- Des Moines Derby Dames are still fun to watch, although we know fewer dames
- The Kentucky Derby / Cinco de Mayo party was a fun event at Sarah’s with Beth
- NEW YORK CITY – twice! A Broadway bonanza dream come true!
- Ferragosto 2012 was a blast – good food, good drink, good friends at the end of the dock!
- Four Daughters Vineyard and Winery – good times with great girlfriends
- Door County and a Haunted Hotel (Kewaunee Inn) – not too scary for me!
- Cosmo Girls monthly night outs are always an adventure –Random Acts of Kindness in December was especially fun!
There were books –
- See the new page of Books I Read in 2012
- Author Paula McCain at the Rochester Public Library discussing “The Paris Wife” – a favorite book from 2011
- Author Julie Kramer at B&N discussing her new book – a new series to read
- Maeve Binchy passes away in 2012 – a sad loss!
- World Book Night was celebrated in 2012 by handing out copies of “The Book Thief”
- By the skin of my teeth I made my (amended) reading goal of 30 books in 2012
There were movies –
- Another post for them soon!
Happy 2013 to one and all! More adventures to come!
- 12/21/12: What’s Making Me Happy This Week (walkietalkiebookclub.com)