I don’t know what it is about April, but I love it. Maybe it’s because April 1st is six months from my October 1st birthday, so I feel a yin and yang or something. It’s a transition month, moving from winter into full-on spring. It’s poetry month, and I once wrote a poem about April (which I’ve probably shared here before, but I’m sure I’ll share it again before I’m through tonight!). April 1st is about pranks and jokes, and I love to laugh. I know some good people who were born in April. It’s just all good.
Last year I posted about Things that Make Me Smile, so I thought I’d do round 2. I’ll stick to the recent past…
Things That Made Me Smile Recently:
- Hearing Rees read. Wow. So fun to have kindergartners around! Can’t wait to be around two of them next weekend!
- Intentionally letting my plant die. It’s not really funny, except that I’m not a plant person and I’ve had it for 3 1/2 years (today!) and I’m done taking care of it. It’s growing all wonky and needs more care than I’m willing to give it at this point. Maybe I’ll look for some potted African violets and a pretty little stand for my bedroom.
- Reading the April Fool’s jokes on Facebook… many of them started by pregnant women!
- Knowing I have a few days off work and then GET to work overnights three nights in a row! The night owl in me is excited for the first time! Talk to me next year to see how much I like three nights a month of staying up all night!
- Feeling so mentally stimulated and exhausted by a great new job!
- Book club last week with former colleagues and upcoming plans for get-togethers!
I know there’s more… I’ll reprise it another time.
I’ll leave you with my original poem about April, written circa 1984:
The April skies
are much to despise
as they’re full of many surprises.
They look awful grey
as they start out the day,
and leave us to making surmises.
Some days it may shower,
some days with more power
its buckets of wet do explode,
and once in a while,
God looks with a smile,
and shovels of snow He unloads..